Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Encouraging Words

Sometimes we all need words of encouragement; other times we are presented with the opportunity to offer these encouraging words.

As a recent college grad, I often feel like I need encouragement more than I am able to provide it. Like many others, my college graduation brought major transitions and high stress situations. Upon moving away and starting a new job, every day felt like a battle for survival. Just when I would start to relax, I realized I had to wake up and start it all over again the next day. In addition to feeling like an incompetent fool at my first big-girl job, I also struggled with feelings of sadness and loneliness over leaving my friends and family.

Some of the most encouraging words came from my sweet friend, Mallory. While all of my friends offered me support, most were still living in Auburn when I moved to Milledgeville. Mallory, on the other hand, had recently moved to New York City. I was able to confide in her and found such comfort knowing that these feelings were not out of the ordinary. She was able to offer me affirmation and helped me realize that eventually things would get easier...

...and they did.

Over the past few months, other friends have graduated, moved away, started jobs, and started grad school. They have come to me with some of the same concerns I took to Mallory. I find joy in being able to help them through their insecurities by offering them encouragement and hope.

I don't think we ever outgrow needing help from our family and friends. For every good day, there is sure to be a hard day in the future. But the encouragement we receive in the hard times helps us to offer the same comfort to others.

I leave you with this email I recently received entitled "just a little enouragement":

Hey bestiepants.
This is my personal stash of encouragement. I have it in hard copy and carry it in a folder with me everywhere.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power love and self discipline.

Psalm 37:4 delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Isaiah 40:31 they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

2 Corinthians 12:9 my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Colossians 3:23-24 whatever I do, I must work at it with all my heart. I am working for the Lord, not for men. I know that I will receive an inheritance from the Lord as my reward. It is the Lord Christ I am serving.

Philippians 3:13-14 but one thing I do; forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called us heavenward in Christ Jesus.


2 corinthians 4:17-18 for our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. so we fic our eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen. for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Corinthians 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Best friend- print this out and meditate on it daily. These verses are my go to when I'm blue. Trust in His goodness even when things feel dark.
Love you.

Mal

{me and mal- when we were babies}

No comments:

Post a Comment